Monday, October 12, 2009

Illustration Midterm Portfolio

These are the five pieces I chose to submit for my midterm portfolio.
The first is the marker comp for the three image gouache montage. This turned out a lot better than I was expecting it to. First, I used Lucy to draw all three images. I started with the giraffe because oddly enough that's what I felt most comfortable doing first. I laid down the lightest colors first and built up to the darker values and eventually used colored pencils. I did the same thing with the key and the kiwi. The marker comp stage really does make going to final production (gouache in this case) much easier. I chose this for the portfolio because I feel like it is tight and it is very clear what I plan on doing once I get to the gouache. This took me about two to three hours.
The second piece I chose for the portfolio is the product illustration we did in gouache. The main reason I chose this piece was because it shows my ability to copy type accurately and maintain the integrity of the original type, in this case logo. First, I laid down the red, including the shadows and once that dried I traced the logo on top. I went in with a wet brush and used the pick out method to take out where the letters were going to be. Then, since the board was stained red from the paint, it wasn't white at all, I went in with two layers of white. To finish I created the highlights with the same method and then put in the reflection with a method similar to watercolor. I feel like this product illustration is especially "sexy" because of the reflection as well as the bold, crisp lettering. This project took me probably close to six hours - the majority of that time was spent on the lettering.
The third piece that I chose to submit was my first experience with gouache. I like the simplicity of it. All I did was lay in the black color and then pick out the highlights. I was surprised at how white some areas of the board were. I guess it's because I picked out the paint before it was all the way dry, or maybe I had a thicker layer of gesso. I don't know. On all of my projects since this one, I haven't been able to get the board that white after I have painted over it.
The grass was definitely an experiment. First I had laid down the green and picked out a few areas with a wet brush. But then I got a hold of a sponge and spent nearly and hour messing with it. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it looks a little over worked. I think if I had used the sponge in the first placed and just left it alone instead of going back over it about a thousand times, it could have looked better. This took about three to four hours. I could have done it a lot quicker I think, but I started really slowly - I was scared to put paint on the board!
The fourth piece is a line drawing with watercolor. This was from the project where we had to do 10 different versions of the same subject using different materials and techniques. This only took about twenty min. I like the line drawing a lot. Not a lot of shading, just some lines but you can still distinguish some values. The background was done in color and I really like how it turned out. Why didn't any of my other watercolors look like this?!? Well, actually, I think I know the answer to that. I spent about 60 sec on this background. On most of my other watercolors, I didn't know when to stop and overworked the medium. Watercolor can be so easy if you let it do it's thing. And that's what I did here. I wet the paper and then loaded my brush with blue and green and put it on the paper. I'm pretty sure I went back in with a paper towel in a couple areas so that it didn't run into the bird. But I like all the soft edges.
This is the fifth and final piece I chose for my portfolio. This is one of the last small water colors I did. This one was done in sharpie first and then water color was added. Again, I think this one was so successful because I didn't try to control the watercolor so much. There isn't a lot of line work, but what little there is, especially on the house, is really nice and adds that much more detail in a subtle way. This is also one of my best examples of clouds. I did wet on wet with a very light blue and then went in with a paper towel and dried the areas that are now white. Then I took a loaded blue brush and put the color in the areas that were still wet. Then I tilted and turned the paper to let the blue run to all the wet areas and softly bleed into the areas that I had dried which creates a very soft, cloud-like edge. This illustration took me about 45 min I think.

I've learned a lot so far in this class, especially now that we are doing more of a process for each project, including the printing process. We'll see how that goes after the second half of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment